fredag 2 maj 2008

Eek, A Penis!



..So I went to the David LaChapelle exhibition at the Museum of Photography in Stockholm. All-in-all a pretty impressive body of work that was on display. LaChapelle started out working under Warhol in the hey-days of Interview Magazine (Warhol is also depicted in the oldest piece of the show), LaChapelle later moved on and pretty much set the visual tone for a large part of photography in the nineties. You pretty much know what to expect of him - big, bold and general larger than life works, of which you no doubt seen atleast half. Not very big on the subtle stuff, imo it's in some of the more low-key (low key for LaChapelle, not the rest of the human race) portrait stuff his work has aged the best. They were also showing two videos of the creative process, and it was a nice suprise to see how much of the work that is actually done pre-shoot, I thought it was mostly postproduction in photoshop, but apparently LaChapelle goes as far as to actually have the backdrops painbrushed beforehand in the studio. He also displayed some newer work with some kind of a white trash theme, good to see that he's willing to try new stuff, but it all felt very much like editorials from Vice magazine..

I was gonna write some kind of full review coverage, but it proved way to hard and time consuming so to make it easier on myself I've just translated famous Swedish 'glamour' model Natacha Peyre's thoughts on the show:

"David Lachapelle is my favourite photographer, his pictures are so special and unusual and different, and totally crazy. Oh, imagine to one day have my picture taken by him.

Xoxo/Nati"


There you go. I'll leave you with some sneak pics from the show..


From left to right: Lil' Kim, K.I.M, K.I.M, K.I.M, K.I.M, Sofia Coppola, Marc Almond, Gisele, Old Architect Dude, Christian Slater, Andymakesglasses..

Inga kommentarer: